Friday 20 January 2012

Japanese Meals - Teriyaki Chicken with Mushroom and Pea Rice

In a bid to eat healthier, and to have more varied lunches instead of just sandwiches (or the same 2 or 3 meals I have been making for a while now), I decided last week to start making myself japanese food for lunch. I do this as I prefer having a larger lunch so I can burn most of it off during the day and then have a light dinner, all part of losing the christmas weight and keeping my energy levels as high as possible for as long as possible throughout the day.

For my first attempt at something a little bit more creative, and basically combining two recipes, I made shitake mushroom and pea rice with teriyaki chicken. I had made teriyaki chicken before, so knew how to make this quite well, but the rice was something I had never made before. In the 2 Japanese recipe books I had they only mentioned making pea rice or mushroom rice, but I wanted to combine the two and realised the preparation and recipe were almost the same. I did however burn the rice a little bit as I turnt the heat up higher than normal and for a bit longer than mentioned, but I'm sure I'll get it right next time.

The hardest part I found was the cooking of the rice. For most rice based dishes you use an uncovered saucepan and add more water if necessary whilst stirring occasionally. With sushi rice however you use a large saucepan with a lid, and use 1 part water to 1 part rice (which I will modify a little bit next round to be 1 and 1/4 water to 1 part rice) and boil it for 3-4 minutes then take it off the heat, leaving the lid on, and leave to rest and steam for another 10mins.

I believe I may have thought of why it burnt yesterday. I was using basmati rice, instead of sushi rice, alond with turning the heat up too far for too long as mentioned previously. I think I will make it again next week with sushi rice just to make sure I get it right in future.


No comments:

Post a Comment